Regular meditation practice can change the structure of the brain, wiring into us all kinds of benefits: improved concentration, contentment, resilience, better mental health, and more empathy and compassion. This wide-ranging anthology brings together leading Tibetan Buddhist teachers with researchers and health professionals to offer Buddhist perspectives on the mind, new studies, and first-hand accounts of how meditation is being applied in health and social care today.
- Sogyal Rinpoche and Jetsün Khandro Rinpoche on how meditation unlocks the mind’s healing power
- Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn on the benefits of mindfulness in mainstream health care
- Dr. Clifford Saron on the Shamatha Project, the most comprehensive study of the effects of meditation ever conducted
- Dr. Sara Lazar on what happens to our brain when we meditate
- Dr. Erika Rosenberg on how meditation helps us relate better to our emotions
- Dr. Lucio Bizzini on how Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy is used to treat depression
- Ursula Bates on how mindfulness supports terminally ill patients as they approach the end of their lives