Can the mind heal the body? The Buddhist tradition says yes—and now that many Western scientists are beginning to agree, these discussions between His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama and a group of prominent physicians, psychologists, and meditation teachers could not be more timely. This book is a record of the Mind and Life Conference III, a meeting that took place in 1991 in Dharamsala, India, gathering together a unique assortment of Buddhist teachers and Western scholars to discuss such questions as:
- How are the brain, immune system, and emotions interconnected?
- What emotions are associated with enhanced well-being?
- How can death help us understand the nature of mind?
- How does self-esteem affect body and mind?
- How is morality related to physical and mental health?
- Can the mind heal the body?