Make meditation a part of your everyday life
Sit Like a Buddha
An Online Course on Beginning a Meditation Practice
with Lodro Rinzler
Believe what you've heard about meditation: it'll focus your mind, open your heart, and sometimes surprise you with insight. And it's not as difficult to learn as you might have thought. In this course, meditation teacher and Shambhala author Lodro Rinzler guides you through everything you need to establish a meditation practice. You will begin by focusing on why you're practicing and then will learn the basics of how to meditate. You'll learn simple tips for how to get a steady meditation practice going in your own home. You'll examine how the tools of mindfulness and awareness can help you navigate the three main obstacles to meditation: laziness, speedy busyness, and disheartenment. You'll learn how to work with emotions when they arise, both on and off the meditation cushion. And you'll explore the concept of peaceful abiding that is the core of our being: our "buddha nature." The course concludes with an exploration of what it means to expand the practice beyond the cushion into the world.
In this course, you will:
- Identify your personal intention for meditation practice.
- Practice shamatha (calm abiding) by following basic meditation instructions.
- Establish a consistent meditation practice in your own home.
- Apply the tools of mindfulness and awareness on and off the meditation cushion.
- Employ strategies for dealing with the three main obstacles to getting a meditation practice going..
- Handle difficult emotions when they arise on and off the meditation cushion.
- Move toward experiencing the state of peaceful abiding.
- Engage with the qualities of a dharmic person in daily life.
This course includes:
Six 20-minute downloadable lessons from Lodro, available in both video and audio format, with transcripts
Guided reading assignments with downloadable PDFs from two books by Lodro: Sit Like a Buddha and The Buddha Walks into a Bar . . .
Exercises to help you integrate the practice into your everyday life
Contemplations to help you reflect on your experience
Check Your Understanding quizzes for you to make sure you understand the essential concepts
Unlimited access to all course materials
Important Note on Browser Requirements
We are partnering with Instructure.com’s online learning platform Canvas to offer this course. Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release.
As of September 17, 2016, Canvas supports the following versions of Flash and popular web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 11 and Edge
- Chrome 52 and 53
- Safari 8 and 9
- Firefox 47 and 48 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 22 and 23 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plugin. If you cannot update your browser to one of the above versions, you will not be able to access this course. Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but still see the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies.