Kids take to mindful awareness naturally, even enthusiastically, as soon as they see how it works. If you’re a parent, teacher, therapist—or anyone who works with kids—this online course will give you the skills you need to introduce the youngsters in your world to mindfulness and its many benefits. Renowned author and mindfulness trainer Eline Snel offers simple, playful ways to introduce kids to the basics. When children learn to be mindfully present, they’ll have the tools they need to deal with stress, sleep better at night, improve concentration, learn better at school, and handle difficult emotions for a lifetime. The practical techniques Eline teaches will enable you to help kids cultivate presence of mind and body at home and in the classroom and develop more compassion for themselves and for others. In helping the kids in your life cultivate these qualities, you can receive these benefits as well.
Since mindful self-compassion is a critical prerequisite for those who wish to convey the joy of mindfulness to children, this course will give you the opportunity to practice opening your heart through guided meditations and exercises. You will learn practical tools to respond appropriately to stressful situations and cultivate your own natural gift of awareness so you can pass it on successfully to others.
Eline Snel is a therapist and certified MBSR trainer and runs the Academy for Mindful Teaching in the Netherlands. She has been developing and teaching mindfulness-based courses for over twenty years and trains teachers to teach MBSR techniques to students. Her program has been used in numerous primary schools in the Netherlands. She has recently started a pilot project in various secondary schools to teach mindfulness practices to teenagers.
This course will help you to:
- Teach yourself and your kids to be more present in everyday life and to avoid your automatic responses to tension, stress, and other problems
- Find your own center of calm, quiet your worrying thoughts, and pass this sense of calm on to the kids in your life
- Get less carried away by feelings of powerlessness or failure or by the idea that you should be much better at everything you do
- Maintain your emotional, mental, and physical well-being amid the demands of everyday life
- Love yourself the way you are and love others precisely because they are the way they are
This course includes:
Downloadable video lessons, also available in audio and transcript form, from a workshop led by Eline Snel at the Omega Institute
Downloadable guided audio for kids and adults
Exercises to help you integrate the teachings into your daily life and interactions with children
Guided reading assignments with downloadable PDFs from Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
Unlimited access to all course materials
Important Note on Browser Requirements
We are partnering with Instructure.com’s online learning platform Canvas to offer this course. Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release.
Canvas supports the following versions of Flash and popular web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 11 and Edge
- Chrome 56 and 57
- Safari 9 and 10 (Macintosh only)
- Firefox 51 and 52 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 23 and 24 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plugin. If you cannot update your browser to one of the above versions, you will not be able to access this course. Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but still see the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies.