Learn the essential principles and practices of Tibetan Buddhism.
The hinayana path is the foundation of the Buddhist teachings—to enter the path of Buddhist practice, one must start here. Based on training in mindfulness and awareness and in cultivating a deeper understanding of one’s own mind, the hinayana is what allows us to take delight in our everyday life just as it is. Through study and practice of these teachings, we develop the discipline to live with greater clarity and compassion.
Join Judy Lief, Buddhist teacher and editor of The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, for an online course that explores the first volume of this monumental work: The Path of Individual Liberation. Through video recorded during a nine-day retreat she led on the subject, Lief will guide us through the traditional hinayana teachings as taught by Chögyam Trungpa, the Tibetan Buddhist master who was largely responsible for making these teachings accessible and relevant for a Western audience.
Topics covered in detail in this online course include the four noble truths; the four foundations of mindfulness; shamatha (peaceful abiding) and vipashyana (insight) meditation techniques; the three jewels of the Buddha, the Dharma, and the sangha; and more.
This eight-week online course includes the following:
- Nineteen 30-minute video talks by Judy Lief, including Q&A, plus two archival video talks by Chögyam Trungpa
- Three hour-long live conference calls with Judy Lief on March 17, April 7, and April 21 at 8 p.m. Eastern Time
- The opportunity to participate in discussion forums with Judy Lief and a global community of fellow learners
- Basic meditation instruction in both mindfulness and awareness practices
- Contemplations to help you integrate the material into your daily practice
- The eBook edition of The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, Volume One: The Path of Individual Liberation by Chögyam Trungpa
- Guided readings of the book
- Self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to test your own understanding of the material
- Unlimited access to the course for six months