Listen to Sample
A new generation of business leaders is turning to mindfulness as a cutting-edge leadership tool. Scientific research suggests that the practice of mindfulness (a technique for learning to live in the present moment) can help individuals to gain clarity, reduce stress, optimize performance, and develop a greater sense of well-being.
In The Mindful Leader, Michael Carroll explains what mindfulness is and how to develop it in the hectic and often stressful environment of the twenty-first century workplace. He focuses on ten key principles of mindfulness and how they apply to leading groups and organizations. Using engaging stories and practical exercises, he addresses how to:
- heal the “toxic workplace,” where anxiety and stress impede performance
- cultivate courage and confidence in the face of workplace difficulties
- pursue organizational goals without neglecting what’s happening here and now
- lead with wisdom and gentleness, not just with ambition and power
- start a personal meditation practice to develop your innate leadership talents
5 hours, abridged.
"While most business books focus on how readers can do more, better and faster, this welcome addition to the category is about taking a moment to pause and reflect. Carroll, a Buddhist-trained HR executive with many years of experience in both the corporate and Zen worlds, emphasizes the renewal and perspective that can result from taking some time out. By the end, stressed-out executives may be willing to read about how to give meditation a try as a way to reconnect with themselves and become more open to their colleagues." —Publishers Weekly
"This book could save your organization, your career, and your life!" —Richard Boyatzis, coauthor of Primal Leadership and Resonant Leadership