Transforming Heart and Soul:
An Online Course on the Jewish Tradition of Mussar
Taught by Alan Morinis, PhD
At the heart of Judaism, no less fundamental than the observation of ritual and the wisdom of Jewish law, revelation, and text, is the teaching of the transformation of the heart and soul of the individual. With down-to-earth practicality, Mussar marshals the collective wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help practitioners “acquire Torah,” to internalize the wisdom of the tradition to bring about genuine transformation of the inner self.
This online course, led by Dr. Alan Morinis, founder of The Mussar Institute, introduces this extraordinary thousand-year-old tradition. Over seven lessons you will be given tools for paying attention to thoughts and reactions and for systematically developing inner characteristics or “soul traits”—humility, generosity, equanimity, simplicity, and trust, among many others. This practice of focused attention, along with contemplative readings and other supportive practices, allows us to harness the mind in order to elevate the soul. Each person’s Mussar journey is unique, and through practice you will be able to work on and cultivate the soul traits that are on your own particular “spiritual curriculum.” We invite you to learn from the Mussar teachings how to be fully present, conscious, and accountable right in the midst of the messiness of everyday life.
This course will help you:
- Develop personal insight and wisdom and recognize your unique personal path of spiritual growth using the Mussar practice
- Identify and develop skills for mastering your personal challenges to achieve a higher level of consciousness
- Change repetitive behaviors that inhibit your personal and spiritual growth
- Recognize your personal motivations, ideal and actual
- Consciously act in ways that reflect values and ideals that remove barriers to connecting to your self, to others, and to God
The course includes:
Seven 15- to 20-minute downloadable video lessons taught by Alan Morinis
Practices and self-reflections to help you integrate the teachings into your practice and daily life
Guided reading assignments with downloadable PDFs from With Heart in Mind: Mussar Teachings to Transform Your Life by Alan Morinis, PhD
Unlimited access to all course materials
Important Note on Browser Requirements
We are partnering with Instructure.com’s online learning platform Canvas to offer this course. Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release.
As of September 17, 2016, Canvas supports the following versions of Flash and popular web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 11 and Edge
- Chrome 52 and 53
- Safari 8 and 9
- Firefox 47 and 48 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 22 and 23 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plugin. If you cannot update your browser to one of the above versions, you will not be able to access this course. Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but still see the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies.