The Way of the Wisdom Jesus:
An Online Course on Going Beyond the Mind
to the Heart of His Teaching
Taught by Cynthia Bourgeault, PhD
If you put aside what you think you know about Jesus and approach the Gospels as though for the first time, something remarkable happens: Jesus emerges as a teacher of the transformation of consciousness. In this online course, Episcopal priest, teacher, and retreat and conference leader Cynthia Bourgeault serves as a masterful guide to Jesus’s vision and to the traditional contemplative practices you can use to experience the heart of his teaching for yourself. Using her book The Wisdom Jesus as a guide, you will join Cynthia in exploring the teachings of Jesus through the lens of non-duality and kenosis (“letting go”). Throughout the course, Cynthia will guide you in experiencing Christian wisdom practices, including centering prayer, lectio divina, sacred chanting and psalmody, and the welcoming prayer. The course concludes with a celebration of recognition energy: that wellspring inspired by the instantaneous, mutual recognition of hearts.
In this course you will:
- Contemplate non-dualism as it relates to the teachings of Jesus
- Explore what kenosis means and connect it to the classic non-dual practice of "non-attachment"
- Examine "indwelling presence," or "living remembrance," with regard to Jesus's own teachings in the Gospels of John and Thomas, the Eucharist, and the Resurrection
- Experience Christian wisdom practices, including centering prayer, lectio divina, sacred chanting and psalmody, and the welcoming prayer
- Explore recognition energy
This course includes:
Eight 15- to 25-minute downloadable video lessons taught by Cynthia Bourgeault
Practices and reflections to help you integrate the teachings into your practice and daily life
Guided reading assignments with downloadable PDFs from The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind—A New Perspective on Christ and His Message by Cynthia Bourgeault, PhD
Unlimited access to all course materials
Important Note on Browser Requirements
We are partnering with Instructure.com’s online learning platform Canvas to offer this course. Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release.
As of September 17, 2016, Canvas supports the following versions of Flash and popular web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 11 and Edge
- Chrome 52 and 53
- Safari 8 and 9
- Firefox 47 and 48 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 22 and 23 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plugin. If you cannot update your browser to one of the above versions, you will not be able to access this course. Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but still see the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies.