Duties and Responsibilities:
Trade publisher specializing in books on Buddhism, religion, philosophy, psychology, crafts, cooking, and parenting seeks bright, detail-oriented person for entry-level position involving all aspects of editorial support for all imprints, including preparing books for reprint, maintaining product databases, evaluating unsolicited manuscripts, light copyediting and proofreading, filing, some assistance with eBook production.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a sound knowledge of English grammar and usage. Must be exceptionally organized, detail-oriented, and able to multitask. Interest in and familiarity with one or more imprint’s subject matter a plus. Previous editorial experience is helpful.
40 hours per week, excellent benefits; on-site position in Boulder, CO
Send resume and cover letter to:
No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, please note that we will not be able to respond to all applications.
2. Art Director, Roost Books
Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, is seeking an Art Director who would be responsible for the overall design of all books in the imprint. This position will oversee cover design, interior design, and page layouts, as well as manage all design freelancers and work closely with the rest of the team in the imprint. The art director is responsible for ensuring all production details are executed to company standards as well as ensuring the projects meet all production schedules.
- Play a key role in helping originate design concepts for each book.
- Oversee cover design, interior design, and page layout.
- Hire and supervise freelance designers.
- Hire and supervise photographers and illustrators for cover design work.
- Liaison with editorial staff to help manage interior artwork.
- Work within schedules to ensure projects are delivered on time and correctly.
- Accurately communicate detailed art direction to designers, photographers, and illustrators.
- Gather and deliver project materials for designers, photographers, and illustrators.
- Check art files for technical accuracy to photo, illustration, and layout files.
- Work with the publishers, editors, and sales force all design needs for the imprint.
- Work with the production manager on pricing considerations, file delivery, etc.
- Communicate schedule and deadline concerns to the publisher and editors.
- An understanding of illustrated books and the categories in which Roost publishes.
- Fluent in all applicable software applications.
- Can clearly communicate all project needs to freelance designers, photographers, and illustrators.
- Can direct freelancers as needed to ensure on-time delivery of files
- Good organization skills with deadlines and file management
- Able to handle paperwork and administrative procedures
- An understanding of book production technology and procedures.
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Bridge)
- Fluent expertise in book typography and the history of book typography.
- A B.A. degree from an accredited college, with a major in design or related subject.
- Three years of experience designing illustrated books, both covers and interior design (including typesetting).
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to think creatively in small groups.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating page and cover design abilities.
- Experience color-correcting photography for book production.
- Experience in managing staff or freelance resources.
- At least a general interest in the categories in which we publish.
To apply please submit cover letter, salary requirements, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com.
3. Production Assistant
Shambhala Publications has an opening for a full-time production assistant in our Boulder office. This position reports to the production manager and will work closely with them on the manufacturing of all reprint, print-on-demand, and new titles.
- Requesting and compiling printing estimates from vendors
- Scheduling and monitoring reprint status
- Coordinating with the editorial department to make text and design corrections for reprints
- Maintaining a physical production library and digital file archive
- Reviewing files for consistency before they go to press
- Checking printer proofs for accuracy
- Reviewing printed books for quality issues
- Maintaining hard copy files and electronic databases
- Miscellaneous clerical work: opening and distributing packages, photocopying, scanning, filing, seasonal list tasks, etc.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1+ years of book manufacturing experience
- Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent attention to detail; proofing experience is a plus
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to manage and prioritize several projects simultaneously
Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to:
Attn: Karissa Kloss
4720 Walnut Street
Boulder, CO 80301
4. Editorial Internship (ACCEPTING RÉSUMÉS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION)
Shambhala Publications has no editorial internship openings at this time. However, résumés will be accepted to keep on file for future openings.
Interested individuals who would like to be considered for possible internship openings in the future are encouraged to submit a résumé and cover letter to the e-mail address below.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a sound knowledge of English grammar and usage. Should be organized and detail-oriented, able to multitask, and possess an interest in our subject matter. Related experience helpful.
Part time, typically 3–6 months, negotiable hours (roughly 15–20 hours/week)
Send resume and cover letter to:
Managing Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.