Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, is seeking an Art Director who would be responsible for the overall design of all books in the imprint. This position will oversee cover design, interior design, and page layouts, as well as manage all design freelancers and work closely with the rest of the team in the imprint. The art director is responsible for ensuring all production details are executed to company standards as well as ensuring the projects meet all production schedules.
- Play a key role in helping originate design concepts for each book.
- Oversee cover design, interior design, and page layout.
- Hire and supervise freelance designers.
- Hire and supervise photographers and illustrators for cover design work.
- Liaison with editorial staff to help manage interior artwork.
- Work within schedules to ensure projects are delivered on time and correctly.
- Accurately communicate detailed art direction to designers, photographers, and illustrators.
- Gather and deliver project materials for designers, photographers, and illustrators.
- Check art files for technical accuracy to photo, illustration, and layout files.
- Work with the publishers, editors, and sales force all design needs for the imprint.
- Work with the production manager on pricing considerations, file delivery, etc.
- Communicate schedule and deadline concerns to the publisher and editors.
- An understanding of illustrated books and the categories in which Roost publishes.
- Fluent in all applicable software applications.
- Can clearly communicate all project needs to freelance designers, photographers, and illustrators.
- Can direct freelancers as needed to ensure on-time delivery of files
- Good organization skills with deadlines and file management
- Able to handle paperwork and administrative procedures
- An understanding of book production technology and procedures.
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Bridge)
- Fluent expertise in book typography and the history of book typography.
- A B.A. degree from an accredited college, with a major in design or related subject.
- Three years of experience designing illustrated books, both covers and interior design (including typesetting).
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to think creatively in small groups.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating page and cover design abilities.
- Experience color-correcting photography for book production.
- Experience in managing staff or freelance resources.
- At least a general interest in the categories in which we publish.
To apply please submit cover letter, salary requirements, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com.
2. Production Designer
Shambhala Publications has an immediate opening for
- Thorough knowledge of Adobe CC
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to production schedules.
- Experience in book design
Preparing images for press including correction to color, color modes, resolution, etc.
Preparing image files for freelance designers, including both vector and bitmap image files.
Creating updated working files from previous working files provided by foreign publishers.
Creating and updating working files from previous published editions.
Composing and revising pages from a previous working design.
Executing spine and back cover designs for approved covers
Preparing press ready mechanicals for covers and dust jackets
Working with freelance design files to bring projects to completion
Creating press ready pdfs of final files
Updating digital assets in accordance with archiving procedures
Please send resume, and sample portfolio to:
3. Editorial Internship (ACCEPTING RÉSUMÉS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION)
Shambhala Publications has no editorial internship openings at this time. However, résumés will be accepted to keep on file for future openings.
Interested individuals who would like to be considered for possible internship openings in the future are encouraged to submit a résumé and cover letter to the e-mail address below.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a sound knowledge of English grammar and usage. Should be organized and detail-oriented, able to multitask, and possess an interest in our subject matter. Related experience helpful.
Part time, typically 3–6 months, negotiable hours (roughly 15–20 hours/week)
Send resume and cover letter to:
Managing Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.